“Success means doing the best we can with what we have. Success is the doing, not the getting; in the trying, not the triumph. Success is a personal standard, reaching for the highest that is in us, becoming all that we can be.”
In 2012, Heinrik Edberg of the Positivityblog wrote “Zig Ziglar’s Timeless Guide to Motivation.” Edberg outlines five of his personal favorite Ziglar quotes that can keep us motivated and productive in our thinking! View the original blog here.
1. Keep motivated
“People often say that motivation doesn’t last. Well, neither does bathing – that’s why we recommend it daily.”
- So many things in life require persistent thought and effort. If we lose motivation or focus on our failures, take a few minutes to remember our successes. Let these “wins” refresh our train of thought and replenish motivation.
- Consider the upside of completing or achieving a goal. These goals could be professional or personal. Create a list of these benefits and place it where it can be viewed as a daily reminder.
2. Failure is not permanent
“Remember that failure is an event, not a person.”
- Successes and failures are not permanent; they can come and go like the tide.
- Just because you have failed at something doesn’t make you a failure. Remember that Thomas Edison tried 1,000 times before making a successful light bulb. When asked how it felt to fail 1,000 times, Edison replied, “I didn’t fail 1,000 times. The light bulb was an invention with 1,000 steps.”
3. Be open to what our low points can reveal
“If you learn from defeat, you haven’t really lost.”
- What are the positives we can take away from the situation?
- What are the steps that need to be taken to avoid repeating it?
- We should learn our lessons and keep moving forward.
4. View our environment and those in it openly and without blinders
“The way you see people is the way you treat them.”
- People tend to reciprocate the way we treat them.
- Ask yourself, “What attributes do I share with this person?”
- By viewing similarities, it takes our focus off our differences.
5. Take action today
“If you wait until all the lights are ‘green’ before you leave home, you’ll never get started on your trip to the top.”
- Take that first step, even if it is small!
- Focus on today: the long-range may look daunting, but with daily progress, it can be done.
We hope these five quotes reinvigorate you to keep pushing towards your goals!